Positive starring role for VAR in Leeuwarden

29 January 2023
Reading Time: ${ readingTime }
Home / News / Positive starring role for VAR in Leeuwarden
2023 Cambuur Fortuna Cordoba

Fortuna achieved its second victory in five days. After last Wednesday's victory over sc Heerenveen, the away match against SC Cambuur ended victoriously on Sunday afternoon: 1-2. Fortuna faced a long time deficit, in the closing stages Burak Yilmaz scored the equalizer. Iñigo Córdoba provided the winning goal. With the win Fortuna climbed to eleventh place in the league table.

Head coach Julio Velázquez's team was soon the dominant player in the match. After 18 minutes, Córdoba headed in a cross from Arianit Ferati unerringly. Due to offside, however, the goal was canceled. A few minutes later a ball from Rodrigo Guth ended up in the hands of goalkeeper Robbin Ruiter. The home club somewhat surprisingly took the lead just over half an hour into the game. Alex Bangura delivered the ball to Daniël van Kaam, who from the back line served Mees Hoedemakers the ball. The midfielder scored in a controlled manner: 1-0. After this goal the home crowd went fanatically behind their team, Cambuur became more threatening. Five minutes before halftime Fortuna had luck on its side, striker Roberts Uldrikis failed to play the completely free Silvester van de Water. The chance was lost.

After halftime, Fortuna was again the dominant side, but the chances were initially scarce. The moment of the match happened just over 70 minutes later. Burak was tapped in the Cambuur penalty area by defender Doke Schmidt, but referee Manschot allowed the ball to continue. In the counterattack, Guth punched Cambuur attacker Mitchel Paulissen illegally, resulting in a penalty kick and red for the defender. The game was stopped for minutes, VAR allowed the referee to come to the screen. After examining the footage, he reversed his decision: Cambuur was not awarded a penalty kick, Guth could simply stand and Fortuna was allowed to touch down from eleven meters. Burak got behind the ball and again remained cool: 1-1.

Nine minutes later Fortuna took the lead. Tijjani Noslin, who came in strongly, served Córdoba at the first post. The latter shot the ball impeccably: 1-2. The home club threw everything and everyone forward in the hunt for an equalizer. In the eleven minutes of injury time another precarious moment occurred in front of the Fortuna goal. Substitute Remco Balk appeared free in front of goalkeeper Ivor Pandur, the keeper made an excellent save. To the surprise of many, referee Manschot again pointed to the penalty spot. The VAR had the referee come to the screen again, who after reviewing the footage concluded that there was no foul on Pandur. A few minutes later, Fortuna Sittard's third away win this season was a fact.