Fortuna fights to a draw against PSV with ten men

16 January 2023
Reading Time: ${ readingTime }
Home / News / Fortuna fights to a draw against PSV with ten men
2023 Fortuna PSV juichen

Deep in injury time, Fortuna managed to produce the equalizer against PSV on Sunday afternoon. Burak Yilmaz remained calm from the penalty spot and made the packed stands cheer: 2-2. A point that no one expected, especially after Fortuna had to continue with a man down from the 56th minute. Dogan Erdogan was shown a red card by referee Kamphuis.

At Fortuna, Stipe Radic was given a starting place for the first time, forming the defensive center with Rodrigo Guth. Ximo Navarro played as left back, replacing the injured George Cox. PSV had a big field advantage from the first minute, Fortuna had to be in defensive positions.

After eleven minutes of play the first big chance for the guests, Xavi Simons served Anwar El Ghazi to size. Fortuna goalkeeper Ivor Pandur had a nice save on the outfielder's effort. After 27 minutes another great chance for the guests, this time for Luuk de Jong. He headed in a cross from the right side from Philip Mwene, but again Pandur prevented a goal with a sublime save.

On the stroke of halftime Fortuna threatened the Eindhoven title contender's goal for the first time, and it was an instant hit. Dogan turned free from two opponents and found Oguzhan Özyakup. He tried to reach Burak with a controlled pass, but PSV goalkeeper Walter Benitez got to the ball earlier. Via the goalkeeper the ball caromed into the feet of Iñigo Córdoba. With a well-aimed effort, he put Fortuna ahead: 1-0.

After halftime PSV was pressing again, especially through Noni Madueke, who played on the right side of the pitch. Soon after halftime Madueke reached the back line and played a well-judged cross to Xavi Simons. From close range he shot high over. After Dogan's red card, Fortuna had to fight back even more. In the 65th minute PSV equalized, Simons scored with his head: 1-1.

After Luuk de Jong had missed a great opportunity from close range, it was a quarter of an hour before the end of official playing time. Again Madueke was at the basis, he served Luuk de Jong. At first Pandur saved his effort, but Ibrahim Sangaré scored in the rebound.

With a man less on the pitch, Fortuna seemed unable to become dangerous. Until, deep into injury time, Ivo Pinto stepped forward once more and reached substitute Tijjani Noslin. He played the ball back to Burak, who took a hard shot, but hit the bar. The rebounding ball seemed to be a goal for Guus Til, who was unable to get the ball under control and fouled another substitute on the Fortuna side, Paul Gladon. Penalty kick, was the verdict of referee Kamphuis. After almost 100 minutes Burak remained cold-blooded from eleven meters: 2-2.